7 Vehicle interior
IMPORTANT A vehicle with an airbag in a condition beyond the threshold specified in Vehicle structure – 3-4 Threshold for requiring repair certification must be certified by a specialist repair certifier before entry certification.
Where required, an entry certifier must obtain a declaration from a recognised technician stating that any supplementary restraint system (SRS) is within safe tolerance of the manufacturer’s specifications. See Technical bulletin 29 for further information on SRS/ABS declaration requirements.
For requirements regarding the Takata Alpha airbag recall see Technical bulletin 43: Takata airbag recall.
Vehicles must comply with the requirements relating to mandatory equipment, permitted equipment, condition, performance and modification set out in:
- VIRM: In-service certification, section 7-6, general vehicles
- VIRM: In-service certification, section 7-6, heavy vehicles.
Other than the above, there are no additional requirements in respect of airbags for the inspection and certification of vehicles for entry into service.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Pre-registration and VIN
- 3 Inspection and certification
- 1 Required documentation and registration
- 2 Vehicle exterior
- 3 Vehicle structure
- 4 Lighting
- 5 Vision
- 6 Entrance and exit
- 7 Vehicle interior
- 7-1 Seats and seat anchorages
- 7-2 PSV seating (light and heavy PSVs)
- 7-3 Head restraints
- 7-4 PSV aisles (light PSVs)
- 7-4 PSV aisles (heavy PSVs)
- 7-5 Seatbelts and seatbelt anchorages
- 7-6 Airbags
- 7-7 Interior impact
- 7-8 PSV heating and ventilation (light and heavy PSVs)
- 7-9 PSV fire protection (light and heavy PSVs)
- 8 Brakes
- 9 Steering and suspension
- 10 Tyres, wheels and hubs
- 11 Exhaust
- 12 Towing
- 13 Miscellaneous items
- 14 Alternative fuel system
- 15 Load restraints
- 16 Certificate of loading
- 4 Technical bulletins
- 5 Reference materials