10 Tyres, wheels and hubs
Reasons for rejection
1. A mudguard (Note 1) over a road wheel is missing where it is reasonable and practicable to fit a mudguard, unless the vehicle is:
a) in an unfinished condition legally used under the authority of trade plates, or
b) not capable of exceeding a speed of 30km/h.
2. A mudguard does not cover the full width of the tread of the tyre or tyres fitted to a road wheel (Figure 10-3-1 and Figure 10-3-2).
3. A mudguard is not securely fixed to the vehicle.
4. A mudguard is so constructed or damaged that it is likely to present a hazard to road users.
5. A modification affects a mudguard, and:
a) is not excluded from the requirements for LVV specialist certification (Table 10-3-1), and
b) is missing proof of LVV specialist or accepted overseas certification, ie:
i. the vehicle is not fitted with a valid LVV certification plate, or
ii. the operator is not able to produce a valid modification declaration or authority card , or
iii. the vehicle has not been certified to an accepted overseas system as described in Technical bulletin 13 .
Note 1 Definitions
Mudguard means a fitting, inclusive of any portion of the vehicle and of any mudflaps attached, that serves to intercept material thrown up by a wheel more or less on the plane of the wheel.
Tyre tread means the portion of a tyre that contacts the road.
Modify means to change a vehicle from its original state by altering, substituting, adding or removing a structure, system, component or equipment, but does not include repair.
Repair means to restore a damaged or worn vehicle, its structure, systems, components or equipment to within safe tolerance of its condition when manufactured, including replacement with undamaged or new structures, systems, components or equipment.
Table 10-3-1. Modifications that do not require LVV certification
Fitting of or modification to:
LVV certification is never required:
Modified mudguards, including flared wheel arches or the addition of mudguard extensions *
Any modification for the purposes of law enforcement or the provision of emergency services
* Some vehicles fitted with flared wheel arches or mudguard extensions will require LVV certification as a result of aftermarket wheel fitments and tyre size changes. See Table 10-1-1.
Figure 10-3-1. Size and position of mudguards which are incorporated into the body
Figure 10-3-2. Size and position of individual mudguards
Summary of legislation
1. A motorcycle must be fitted with a mudguard over each road wheel if it is reasonable and practicable to do so.
2. A mudguard must cover no less than the width of the tyre tread on each road wheel.
3. A motorcycle fitted with twin tyres or close-spaced multiple tyres must be fitted with a mudguard over each wheel on the rear axle that provides continuous protection from a horizontal line tangent to the top of the tyre tread to a line with a slope of 1 in 3 rising rearward from the tyre’s contact point on the road.
4. The following vehicles are not required to be fitted with mudguards:
a) a vehicle in an unfinished condition used under the authority of trade plates and operated in accordance with the Compliance Rule
b) a vehicle not capable of exceeding a speed of 30km/h.
5. A mudguard must be securely fixed to the vehicle and must be constructed so that it does not present a hazard to road users.
6. A modification that affects a mudguard must be inspected and certified by a low volume vehicle specialist certifier, unless the vehicle:
a) is excluded from the requirement for LVV certification (Table 10-3-1), and
b) has been inspected in accordance with the requirements in this manual, including those for equipment, condition and performance.
Page amended 1 December 2016 (see amendment details).
- General vehicles
- Heavy vehicles
- Light PSVs
- Heavy PSVs
- 1 Vehicle identification
- 2 Vehicle Exterior
- 3 Vehicle Structure
- 4 Lighting
- 5 Vision
- 6 Entrance and exit
- 7 Vehicle interior
- 8 Brakes
- 9 Steering and suspension
- 10 Tyres, wheels and hubs
- 11 Exhaust
- 12 Towing connections
- 13 Miscellaneous items
- 14 Certificate of loading
- 15 Transport service licence
- General trailers
- Heavy trailers
- Unclassified vehicles
- Technical bulletins (general)
- Technical bulletins (CoF)
- Interim amendments