Print Download PDF

3 Inspection and certification process

3-3 Establishing whether a vehicle must be repair certified

A vehicle must be inspected for light vehicle repair certification if:

a) it requires repair certification for entry or re-entry to service, and

b) it is a vehicle of one of the following classes:

LC, LD, LE1, LE2, MA, MB, MC, MD1, MD2, or NA (see Table 3-4-1), and

c) the vehicle shows any of the following conditions:

  • evidence of corrosion in a structural part of the vehicle; this includes evidence of rust bleed
  • corrosion perforation of any non-structural body panel of the vehicle
  • corrosion perforation or any significant pitting of any subframe, steering, or suspension member, including their mounting points
  • damage that affects the integrity of any bonded or welded seams or joints installed by the vehicle manufacturer
  • underbody damage that has caused the splitting of seam welds, distortion of suspension members or mounting points, or tearing of metal structures
  • denting or creasing on sill (rocker) panels or to a depth of more than 25mm
  • denting or distortion to the folds or swages in the sill panel or structure of the inner or outer sill weld seam
  • distortion to the longitudinal chassis rails so as to affect the front or rear crush zones or kick-up areas
  • damage of a cross-member that may affect steering or suspension alignment
  • distortion of a cross-member
  • damage or distortion of any subframe that that may affect steering or suspension alignment
  • cracking of the unitary body in areas affecting a safety component or system
  • damage or deformation to a door intrusion beam that is required for the frontal impact occupant protection system
  • a deployed airbag or seatbelt pre-tensioner
  • there is evidence that repairs have been made to the structure or safety systems of the vehicle or the extent of the original damage is not evident
  • there is evidence that the vehicle has suffered water damage.

Note Technical bulletin 4 explains the threshold requirements as set out for entry certifiers in New Zealand.