Correct as at 24th May 2019. It may be superseded at any time.
Extract taken from: NZTA Vehicle Portal > VIRMs > Light vehicle repair certification > Entrance and exit
4 Entrance and exit
4-1 Door and hinged panel retention systems
Reasons for rejection
1. A motor vehicle fitted with doors used by the driver or passengers for entrance and exit of the motor vehicle does not have a door retention system.
2. A hinge for a door or other hinged panel is not securely attached to both the vehicle body and to the door or other hinged panel due to loose connections, corrosion or other damage.
3. A door used for entrance and exit cannot be opened from the inside.
4. A door used for entrance and exit does not open or close easily.
5. A door or other hinged panel does not remain secure in a closed or locked position.
6. A side door intrusion beam has been removed or is missing (where one is required).
7. A side intrusion beam has been repaired without specific permission in the manufacturer’s instructions.
Summary of legislation
1. A repair to a vehicle, its structure, systems, components or equipment must restore the damaged or worn vehicle, structure, system, component or equipment so that it is within safe tolerance of the state of the vehicle, structure, system, component or equipment when manufactured.
2. A motor vehicle fitted with doors used by the driver or passengers for entrance and exit of the motor vehicle must have a door retention system.
3. The door retention system on doors to the rear of the driver’s seat may incorporate safety devices installed during the manufacture of the vehicle to prevent the doors from being opened from the inside of the vehicle (eg child safety locks).
4. A vehicle designed or adapted to transport prisoners is not required to be fitted with a mechanism for opening a door from the inside if the prison compartment has an alternative exit that can be operated by an authorised person in an emergency.
5. A door retention system and its mountings must be safe and structurally sound.
6. A door used for the entrance and exit of the driver or passengers must be operable by any occupant seated by the door from inside the motor vehicle.
7. The vehicle must be repaired using components and materials that are fit for their purpose, and return the vehicle within safe tolerance of its state when manufactured or modified.
8. A door retention system must be in good working order.
9. A door used for entrance and exit must open and close easily.
10. A door used for entrance and exit must remain secure in a closed position during the operation of the motor vehicle.