3 Inspection and certification process
3-5 Establishing whether the vehicle complies
2. Visually inspect the vehicle to determine whether the vehicle complies with the requirements set out in this manual (see clause 220.127.116.11 of the Introduction). Vehicle inspectors are not required to remove vehicle components during the inspection of the vehicle.
3. The vehicle inspector or inspecting organisation may refuse to inspect a vehicle which:
a) is presented in such a condition that inspection is unreasonably difficult or cannot be completed (components missing, covered in dirt, etc) or
b) has an insecure load.
4. Where the vehicle inspector determines that a Reason for rejection or clause 18.104.22.168 of the Introduction to this manual applies to a vehicle, the vehicle inspector must reject the vehicle for certification.
5. Where the vehicle inspector requires further information in order to determine compliance with the requirements, the inspector must reject the vehicle until the information has been obtained.
6. Where a vehicle has changed use to a passenger service vehicle since it was last certified for entry or in-service (ie the vehicle enters service as a passenger service vehicle), the vehicle inspector must have written confirmation (in the form of a PSV entry checksheet) that the vehicle complies with the PSV requirements in the VIRM: Entry certification before it can pass certificate of fitness inspection.
- 1 Purpose and scope
- 2 Overview of the manual
- 3 Inspection and certification process
- Overview – steps in the inspection and certification process
- 3-1 Duties and responsibilities
- 3-2 Identifying the vehicle class
- 3-3 Establishing whether the vehicle requires a WoF or CoF
- 3-4 Establishing whether the vehicle may be inspected for a WoF or CoF
- 3-5 Establishing whether the vehicle complies
- 3-6 Checksheets
- 3-7 Recording the inspection outcome (‘determination’)
- 3-8 Issuing the WoF or CoF label - ‘evidence of vehicle inspection’ - or temporary permit
- 3-9 Collecting fees
- 3-10 Operating a vehicle without a current WoF or CoF
- 3-11 Rechecks
- 4 Complaints
- 5 Inspection premises and equipment
- 6 Appointments
- 7 Definitions and abbreviations
- 8 Sample certification documents
- General vehicles
- Heavy vehicles
- Light PSVs
- Heavy PSVs
- General trailers
- Heavy trailers
- Unclassified vehicles
- Technical bulletins (general)
- Technical bulletins (CoF)
- Interim amendments