2 Vehicle structure
Reasons for rejection
1. An A-pillar has been sectioned when the manufacturer prohibits repairs to the A-pillar.
2. An A-pillar has been sectioned but not following either the manufacturer’s methods or a recognised repair research organisation’s procedures.
3. An A-pillar has been sectioned but not using one of the following procedures (unless specifically permitted by the manufacturer, or a recognised repair research organisation):
a) butt joint with an insert, or
b) offset butt joint, or
c) offset butt joint with an insert, or
d) a 25mm overlap with MIG plug welds.
4. A foam-filled pillar has not had the foam replaced with the correct foam.
5. Filler has been applied to the windscreen bonding face of the pillar where this is not permitted in the manufacturer’s instructions.
6. An incorrect etch primer has been applied to the windscreen bonding face of the pillar.
Damaged parts should be replaced at factory seams whenever practicable and when required by the vehicle manufacturer.
For further information on replacement components see section 9-3 Replacement components.
Summary of legislation
- Land Transport Rule: Frontal Impact 2001
- Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Repair 1998
- Land Transport Rule: Glazing, Windscreen Wipe and
Wash, and Mirrors 1999.
1. A repair to a vehicle, its structure, systems, components or equipment must restore the damaged or worn vehicle, structure, system, component or equipment so that it is within safe tolerance of the state of the vehicle when manufactured.
2. The performance of a frontal impact occupant protection system must not be affected by any factor, including corrosion, structural damage, material degradation, inadequate repair, the fitting of additional equipment or the removal of equipment.
3. Glazing must be mechanically sound, strong and securely affixed to the vehicle.
Page amended 1 October 2013 (see amendment details).
- 1 Vehicle identification
- 2 Vehicle structure
- 3 Vision
- 4 Entrance and exit
- 5 Vehicle interior
- 6 Brakes
- 7 Steering and suspension
- 8 Vehicle measurement
- 9 General repairs
- 10 Motorcycles
- Technical bulletins