4-9 End-outline marker lamps
Reasons for rejection
Permitted and prohibited equipment
1. A light vehicle with an overall width of 1.8m or more is fitted with:
a) more than four forward-facing lamps, or
b) more than two rearward-facing lamps.
2. A light vehicle with an overall width of less than 1.8m is fitted with end-outline marker lamps.
3. The lamps are not positioned in such a way that they give an indication of the vehicles dimensions.
4. A lamp is insecure.
5. A lens is missing, or has a hole, crack or other damage that allows moisture or dirt to enter.
6. A reflector is damaged or has deteriorated so that light output is reduced.
7. When switched on, a forward-facing end-outline marker lamp does not operate (Note 2).
8. When switched on, an end-outline marker lamp emits a light that is:
a) not substantially white or amber to the front, or
b) not substantially red to the rear, or
c) not diffuse, or
d) not projected to the front or rear, or
e) not approximately of the same colour or intensity as the other lamp if fitted in a pair, or
f) not steady, or
g) not bright enough to indicate the presence and dimensions of the vehicle to other road users.
9. Where a lamp comprises an array of light sources (eg LEDs), fewer than 75% of these operate.
Note 1 Definitions
End-outline marker lamp means a position lamp designed to be fitted near the outer extremity of the vehicle in addition to forward-facing and rearward-facing position lamps, and includes a cab roof lamp.
Position lamp means a low-intensity lamp that is designed to indicate the presence and dimensions of a vehicle to other road users, being:
a) a forward-facing position lamp (front side or park lamp), or
b) a rearward-facing position lamp (rear side lamp or tail lamp), or
c) a side-marker lamp, or
d) an end-outline marker lamp (including cab roof lamp).
A rearward-facing end-outline marker lamp that does not comply with the equipment, condition and performance requirements, must be made to comply or be disabled so that it does not emit a light. A non-complying forward-facing end-outline marker lamp must be made to comply or be fully removed from the vehicle.
A vehicle originally manufactured with an end-outline marker lamp arrangement that differs from what is required or permitted in this section may retain the original end-outline marker lamps provided they remain fitted in their original position and perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer. Lamps visible from the front and from the rear on the same side of the vehicle may be combined into one device.
Vehicle manufacturer means the original vehicle manufacturer and the final stage manufacturer in the case of certain modified vehicles (see Technical bulletin 13: Acceptable overseas proof of modification).
Summary of legislation
Permitted and prohibited equipment
1. A light vehicle that has an overall width of 1.8m or more may be fitted with a maximum of:
a) four forward-facing lamps, and
b) two rearward-facing lamps.
2. The position of the lamps must be such that it gives an indication of the vehicle’s dimensions.
3. A light vehicle with an overall width of less than 1.8m must not be fitted with end-outline marker lamps.
4. An end-outline marker lamp must be in sound condition.
5. An end-outline marker lamp must operate in a way that is appropriate for the lamp and the vehicle.
6. A lamp must emit a light that is:
a) diffuse, and
b) substantially white or amber to the front, and
c) substantially red to the rear.
7. A lamp must emit a steady light.
8. An end-outline marker lamp must provide sufficient light output to indicate to other road users the presence and dimensions of the vehicle.
9. Where a lamp comprises an array of light sources (eg LEDs), at least 75% of these must operate.
10. An end-outline marker lamp that is affected by a modification must meet equipment, condition and performance requirements.
Page amended 1 November 2018 (see amendment details).
- General vehicles
- 1 Vehicle identification
- 2 Vehicle exterior
- 3 Vehicle structure
- 4 Lighting
- 4-1 Headlamps
- 4-2 Front and rear fog lamps
- 4-3 Cornering lamps
- 4-4 Daytime running lamps
- 4-5 Direction indicator lamps
- 4-6 Forward-facing position lamps
- 4-7 Rearward-facing position lamps
- 4-8 Side-marker lamps
- 4-9 End-outline marker lamps
- 4-10 Stop lamps
- 4-11 High-mounted stop lamps
- 4-12 Rear-reg.-plate illumination lamps
- 4-13 Rear-reflectors
- 4-14 Reversing lamps
- 4-15 Other lighting
- 5 Vision
- 6 Entrance and exit
- 7 Vehicle interior
- 8 Brakes
- 9 Steering and suspension
- 10 Tyres, wheels and hubs
- 11 Exhaust
- 12 Towing connections
- 13 Miscellaneous items
- Heavy vehicles
- Light PSVs
- Heavy PSVs
- General trailers
- Heavy trailers
- Unclassified vehicles
- Technical bulletins (general)
- Technical bulletins (CoF)
- Interim amendments