7 Vehicle interior
7-7 Interior impact
Reasons for rejection
1. Where an interior fitting, control or surface has been added, removed, substituted or has deteriorated, the likelihood of injury to occupants has not been minimised.
2. A modification (Note 1) affects an interior fitting, control or surface, and:
a) is not excluded from the requirements for LVV specialist certification (Table 7-7-1), and
b) is missing proof of LVV specialist or accepted overseas certification, ie:
i. the vehicle is not fitted with a valid LVV certification plate, or
ii. the operator is not able to produce a valid modification declaration or authority card, or
iii. the vehicle has not been certified to an accepted overseas system as described in Technical bulletin 13.
Note 1 Definitions
Modify means to change a vehicle from its original state by altering, substituting, adding or removing a structure, system, component or equipment, but does not include repair.
Repair means to restore a damaged or worn vehicle, its structure, systems, components or equipment to within safe tolerance of its condition when manufactured, including replacement with undamaged or new structures, systems, components or equipment.
Table 7-7-1. Modifications that do not require LVV certification
Fitting of or modification to:
LVV certification is not required provided that:
|Cargo hoists and tail-lifters in goods vans|
Disability adaptive controls
For disability adaptive hand control systems:
For an additional accelerator pedal fitted to the left of the brake pedal:
For a steering wheel spinner to assist in the operation of the steering wheel:
Stereo equipment and speakers
If fitted to the rear parcel shelf:
If fitted to a part of the vehicle other than the rear parcel shelf:
– class MA motor vehicles manufactured from 1 March 1999, and
– class MA motor vehicles that were less than 20 years old when they were first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 April 2002, and
– class MB or MC motor vehicles manufactured from 1 October 2003, and
– a direct substitute without shaft modification, and
– a non-OE item of a reputable brand or an OE item from another vehicle.
Additional and substituted items such as instruments, switches, cellphone installations and navigation equipment or an OE item from another vehicle
– mounted flush with, or protected by, the dashboard surface, or
– fitted forward of the steering wheel, or between the steering wheel and the nearest door, or
– fitted between and forward of the front seats (where no centre seat exists), and within 140 mm either side of the vehicle centreline.
Roll-bar or roll-cage structures (roll protection or cosmetic)
– behind, following a plane extending upward, parallel to the back of the backrest on the rear-most seat, and
– in such a way that the head restraint would provide protection from head contact with any bar section during a crash.
Gear shift lever relocation
|Additional accelerator pedal (for driving school vehicles)|
1A vehicle that cannot comply with this clause cannot be LVV certified unless it has been issued with an LVV authority card or is at least 14 years old.
Fitting of or modification to:
LVV certification is never required:
Modified accelerator pedal
Roof and door lining replacement
Any modification for the purpose of law enforcement or the provision of emergency services
Summary of legislation
Condition and performance
1. Interior fittings, controls and surfaces in the passenger compartments must be such that the likelihood of injury to occupants is minimised.
2. A modification that affects the interior fittings, controls or surfaces must be inspected and certified by an LVV specialist certifier, unless the vehicle:
a) is excluded from the requirement for LVV specialist certification (Table 7-7-1), and
b) has been inspected in accordance with the requirements in this manual, including those for equipment, condition and performance.
Page amended 1 November 2018 (see amendment details).
- General vehicles
- 1 Vehicle identification
- 2 Vehicle exterior
- 3 Vehicle structure
- 4 Lighting
- 5 Vision
- 6 Entrance and exit
- 7 Vehicle interior
- 8 Brakes
- 9 Steering and suspension
- 10 Tyres, wheels and hubs
- 11 Exhaust
- 12 Towing connections
- 13 Miscellaneous items
- Heavy vehicles
- Light PSVs
- Heavy PSVs
- General trailers
- Heavy trailers
- Unclassified vehicles
- Technical bulletins (general)
- Technical bulletins (CoF)
- Interim amendments